Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 14:49:41 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        proff@suburbia.net
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SLAB stuff, and applications to current net code (fwd)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Michael Hancock wrote:

> On Sun, 26 Jan 1997 proff@suburbia.net wrote:
>
> > Can anyone inform me what a SLAB allocator is, and if so, would freebsd
> > benefit from one?
> >

> It's a chunk of memory that you put multiple kernel objects of the same
> type into.  We have a modified mach zone allocator.  They're both type
> stable memory allocators.

Oops, as David mentioned, I goofed.  The major objects are mach zone and
when freed can be allocated as another type later on.

The way vnodes are allocated and deallocated is almost TSM, if it weren't
for the special allocation case when more vnodes are needed than
originally allocated at boot.

I'll have to look into how Solaris' SLAB deallocates memory, it's probably
not TSM either.

Regards,

Mike Hancock