Date:      Thu, 23 Jul 1998 12:05:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Patrik Astrom <astrom@dev.tv3.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cyrus trouble !

> Hi IM trying to install the Cyrus package
>
> But IM not able to connect with the cyradm program,it gives this error
> message...
> "application-specific initialization failed: authentication failed"
>
>  I have followed the instructions in all the docs and haven't found the
> problem yet. First I thought it was a problem with rights on files or
> directorys but everything is by the book.
>
> I have tried to search the mailing list archives and could not find
> anything that could help me..
>
> Here is a part of my logfile...
>
> Jul 23 18:17:40 spaceman imapd[22869]: badlogin: localhost[127.0.0.1]
> plaintext theguy cannot connect to pwcheck server
>
> The manual suggested that I would check the rights and I have done this and
> they are by the book ?, I would be most gratefull for any hints or
> suggestions.

Do you have imapd configured to start from inetd; or do you leave
a daemon running all the time?

Make sure you have a pwcheck daemon running; and that the fifo has
been created.  (I believe the default configuration specifies the
fifo path as /var/pwcheck/pwcheck )

Try manually starting inetd, in daemon mode, and check the log file
before attempting to run cyradm.

-Pat