Date:      Wed, 23 Jan 2002 18:03:13 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>
Cc:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Intaller (was "Re: ... RedHat ...")

Nathan Mace wrote:
> > FreeBSD's disk "slicing" and "partitioning" really sucks.
> >
> > The display in 512B sectors is not also in KB/MB/GB, even
> > though there is plenty of room for the display.  The "help"
> > doesn't indicate "G" is an acceptable suffix (like it does
> > "M").
>
> umm...i believe it is the 'z' key that changes it from sectors to kb to mb to
> gb.  if it's not 'z' I KNOW it's listed in the little table of contents
> towards the bottom of the screen

I think you meant to reply to the complaint about the display
in 512B sectors, instead of 512B sectors and larger units as
well.

The excerpted text to which you are replying is about the
"Use K for Kilobytes or M for Megabytes" in the "size"
dialog under the "C" ("create") option in the partitioning
screen not including "or G for Gigabytes".

Another complaint that could be registered about that dialog
is that the text doesn't arrive "selected", so that typing
replaces all of it, so you don't have to delete the current
value ("all remaining space").

While it's possible to change the units used, as I originally
noted, there is plenty of screen real estate available to be
used for a display in other units.

Switching completely over to those other units is actually
not incredibly useful, if you have a large mix of sizes,
since the typical installation has this (50M for "/", and
10's of Gigs for "/usr", by default).

Does that make more sense now, as a human factors complaint?

-- Terry