Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2019 19:47:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r350550 - head/share/mk

> On 8/7/19 1:50 PM, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> >> Well, my use case is that I have some machines that follow 12-stable.
> >>
> >> I'm not a developer. But I keep an eye on things like security bulletins
> >> etc and when they come out it usually gives something like 'affecting
> >> 12-STABLE prior to r<number> something like that. And I can easily look
> >> at uname -a to see if this or that 12-stable machine needs to be patched
> >> or whatever. That is, if reproductible_build is turned off. (or
> >> without_reproductible_build is turned on)
> >>
> >> Or if I mail to stable@ asking for help I'll want to say *exactly* what
> >> sources I've built from. And sometimes someone will say "oh that was
> >> fixed after r<suchandsuch>" and so I'll grab sources after that revision
> >> if I can and fix the problem.
> >>
> >> But like I say I'm not a dev. I'd guess, though, that lots of non-devs
> >> use the revision info if they follow -stable, so if I'm right in thinking
> >> this, it'd be a short list of use cases but lots of affected people.
> >>
> >> unless there's another way to get the svn rev number?
> >>
> >> Why turn off this functionality by default?
> >> --
> >> J.
> >
> > Actually you have a very good point here.
> > Let me raise the issue, the rXXXXXX is infact reproducible, why is
> > that being excluded from reproducible builds?  If I build from the
> > same source at the same version I get the same rXXXXX string in
> > the resulting file.  This is reproducible.
> >
> > So WHY are we excluding rXXXXXX from the reproducible build?
>
> We don't.  The svn revision is present in uname -a even for reproducible
> builds.

I think I know what it is that IS removed, it is the path to
the kernel build, and the host, that is what I am missing.
That data is rather critical to me, as it is I believe your
objection too.

Again, I think if we split this into kernel/userland we can
have it kernel off, userland on in head and I think that
takes care of everyones complaint about wanting it turned off
in head, and keeps the state that has those of us wanting it
turned on in head.

Am I correct in that your main reason for wanting to have this
off in head is to get the kernel meta data for the path to the
kernel John?  If that is the one use case in head can we just
turn it on for the kernel build only?