Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:34:03 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
To:        peter@SchmidtP.rbh.nthames.nhs.uk (Peter Schmidt)
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Boot manager questions]

[Following up to -bugs]

Peter Schmidt wrote:

> Hi:
> I just upgraded my machine from FreeBSD 2.2.7 to FreeBSD 3.1 (stable
> release) and encountered a few problems:
>
> 	1.) I have Windows NT Server installed as well. So when booting up
> 	the boot manager prints something like
> 	F1 NTFS (or the like)
> 	F2 FreeBSD
>
> 	Now after installing I get
> 	F1 ??
> 	F2 FreeBSD
> 	However I can still boot into NT.
> 	Is there any way to change this and configure the printout
> 	to something other than "??" ?
>
> 	I know that the Linux boot manager LILO can be configured in such
> 	a way that you can type in any name you care to think of.

The sources are available in src/sys/boot/i386/boot0, so it would be
a 5-minute job to patch the file (by replacing an existing table entry)
and rebuild.

Or you could install BootEasy itself: which should still be available
in the "tools" directory on CD-ROM or ftp.freebsd.org.

The present FreeBSD boot manager is a single-sector program which must
fit into the 448 bytes left over on the master boot record (MBR) of
the disk, so it does not provide features similar to LILO.  However,
a more powerful boot manager is currently in preparation, which will
allow customized menu options, among other things.

--
Robert Nordier