Date:      Thu, 27 Feb 1997 17:38:40 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD current <freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: fixing fsck

Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:
>In dinode.h, all the time related fields, which used to be
>timespec structs (members tv_sec and tv_usec) are now int32_t, which
>doesn't have any logical connection to their time-related usage at all.
>I can't understand the reasoning behind this change.

If you look carefully at the diffs, the old

	struct timespec di_atime;

changed to

	int32_t		di_atime;
	int32_t		di_atimensec;

which makes it relatively clear what happened, especially if you look
at the byte offsets in the comments.  di_atime.ts_sec became di_atime,
and di_atime.ts_nsec became di_atimensec.  The diff also describes the
reason for this change:

+ * This structure defines the on-disk format of a dinode. Since
+ * this structure describes an on-disk structure, all its fields
+ * are defined by types with precise widths.

  Bill