Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 10:30:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up NFS

This is with a FreeBSD 3.0-current (as of yesterday) server and BSD/OS 3.1
clients.

I'm having some trouble getting my /etc/exports right.

I am trying to do something like the following:

/exports/home -network X -mask Y -maproot=root
/exports/src -network X -mask Y -mapall=nobody -ro

The first one works just fine; the second doesn't work at all (with a very
unhelpful error message :-)  If I get rid of the first one, the second
will work.  If I change -network X -mask Y in the second to something
else, both the exports lines will work.

Through some other tinkering around, it looks like it only lets you have 1
exports line for a given host (or -network -mask combination).  Am I just
doing something wrong, or is mountd very broken?

Also, I rebooted my NFS server this morning, and none of my mounts came
back up when the box came back up.  That wasn't quite what I wanted; I had
hoped that the mounts would just be unaccessible, and would come back up
later.

I went on to each of the boxes to remount the drive, and found that the
mount had literally disappeared.  The system still thought the drive was
mounted, but it wasn't listed in df.  I couldn't unmount it, and I
couldn't remount it...

All of the clients had the disk mounted like:

piano:/exports/home     /home           nfs     rw,intr,soft        0 0

Was that not an appropriate set of mount options?

Thanks.

Evan