Date:      21 Sep 2000 02:13:13 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSupd, CVSup, CVS and WinCVS

Jan Knepper <jan@smartsoft.cc> wrote:

> However, could I run cvsupd and cvs on the same repository? Have
> Unix (FreeBSD users of course!) access it using CVSup and
> Windows <cough> users use something like WinCVS that accesses
> the same repository via a different server?

You could set up an anoncvs server that runs from the same repository.
Unix people could use this for reading from the repository with
cvs(1), and presumably this also works for the MS-Windows port of
cvs and WinCVS.

Note that I've had one person report the inability to access with
WinCVS an anoncvs server I run, but this may have been user error.

If you aren't familiar with CVS, you may want to play a bit around
with accessing an anoncvs server yourself before you think about
setting one up, to get a feeling of what this is all about.

There is a step-by-step guide how to set up an anoncvs server on
OpenBSD at <URL:http://www.openbsd.org/anoncvs.shar>.  This should
be applicable to FreeBSD as well.  It *may* be necessary, to slightly
patch FreeBSD's cvs.  I have only run this on OpenBSD so far.