Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 03:26:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: **HEADS UP** newsyslog.conf syntax change

 * From: "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>

 * > Please first change it to accept both syntaxes, with a warning in the
 * > manpage that the old one will go away in the future.  Then remove the
 * > old syntax after a few months.
 *
 * How about we leave it this way in -CURRENT, and the MFC will act in the
 * above way.  This will give people the remaining lifetime of 3.x (1,2,3?
 * more releases) to convert.  For those running -CURRENT... well they are
 * supose to take heed of "HEADS UP" messages.

Well that will work for me, but I still think it is nicer to do it in
a two-step way, so that people don't neccesarily have to convert it
right between the make world and reboot.

The way I work is, I see the HEADS UP message, edit the setup files so
that it will be correct after the next make world or reboot, then
forget about it.  (Note that if the change is completely
backward-incompatible, you can't edit the files right away unless you
are sure you aren't going to reboot the machine before the next make
world....)

Of course, since this is a program that is compilable by itself, I can
cvs update usr.sbin/newsyslog and make all install there and change
newsyslog.conf now.  So I guess it's ok, but you may want to send out
another message saying that it's probably safer to rebuild newsyslog
and edit newsyslog.conf right now rather than trying to remember doing
it right with the next make world.

Satoshi