Date:      Fri, 06 Mar 2015 13:20:07 -0500
From:      Jonathon McDaniels <mcdanielsjr@mymail.vcu.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   GSoC idea - porting and patching of userland for lld, the LLVM linker

Hey guys,

After giving it some thought, I was thinking of porting ( as in, make it
a port of ) and patching the userland so a make buildworld can go
through on x86/AMD64 on lld, the LLVM linker, and if time permits,
patching the kernel to make use of it.. As the binutils included in base
is over 7 years old, and is unlikely to be updated due to the GPLv3, it
would make sense to assist with removing dependence of the FreeBSD
platforms now using LLVM/Clang for compiling.

Before I go contact the mentors that would be within the scope of this
project, I wanted to make sure of the following:

  * That this would be a good use of GSoC
  * That it is narrow enough in scope to be feasible, but broad enough
    that it would prove a beneficial project.

Considering the environment we have now, I think it would allow me to
further my knowledge of C beyond what I already know ( currently working
on learning about dynamic linking of libraries, and I already know about
data structures, stacks, pointers etc. and plan to be much farther along
by the time of the start of the project and deliverables. ).

And since lld is compatible with the BSD license terms, and is
interoperable with LLVM, it seems a viable and good project to undertake.

Thoughts from you guys?

Thanks,

Jonathon "Johnny" McDaniels