Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 04:15:08 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chris Hodgins" <chodgins@cis.strath.ac.uk>
Cc:        markzero <mark@darklogik.org>
Subject:   RE: DSL modem recommendation

The USB port was designed for use with joysticks, keyboards,
mice, etc.  Not ethernet speeds.

If you ever have an opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison
between an ethernet modem and a USB you will see your CPU
utilization much lower on the ethernet.  Ethernet controllers
are far superior and efficient than USB chipsets.

Now of course, DSL is not high bandwidth (compared to Ethernet)
so there is that argument that it makes no difference.

Another argument is that if you have no need to run a server,
USB means you have to waste CPU on translation.  Of course the
counter to that is that with a modem/router, you can't get a
public IP address.

And yet another is that if the hardware changes in the future,
a day might come when a new motherboard with a new USB chipset
is not detected and usable by some version of FreeBSD.  Ethernet
your pretty much guarenteed will be around forever.

But, speaking as an ISP I can tell you the biggest reason
we recommend against USB for our customers - most of our
customers are windoze users, and if you put a USB modem on
their windows boxes, when they connect in, they get a public
IP address assigned to their Windows box.

And if they aren't currently patched (few 'doze user are ever)
within an hour their machine will be compromized by someone's
trojan and their machine will then become a menace and a problem
on the network.  Our network.

We do not see the advantage to us to have a couple dozen
'doze users on our 1.5x1M DSL circuits, infected with the
latest virus and attempting to reinfect the rest of the
Internet.  Maybe you do?  Certainly the cable Internet providers
in the US seem to think there's an advantage, that is why
the cable networks all run like dog crap.

Ted