Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:50:20 GMT
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/76750: Fix wording about what version of FreeBSD PF can be used in.

The following reply was made to PR docs/76750; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:40:48 +0200

 On 2005-01-27 14:15, Max Laier <max@love2party.net> wrote:
 >On Thursday 27 January 2005 13:50, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
 >>On 2005-01-27 04:59, Brad Davis <so14k@so14k.com> wrote:
 >>> -    <para>For older 5.X version of &os; you can find
 >>> -      <acronym>PF</acronym> in the &os; ports collection here:
 >>> +    <para>For versions of &os; younger than 5.0 and older than 5.3 you
 >>> +      can find <acronym>PF</acronym> in the &os; ports collection here:
 >>
 >> pf(9) is, AFAIK, included as part of the base system in releases
 >> `older than 5.3'.  So the correction is not 100% true.
 >
 > 5.3 was the first *release* with PF included.  5.2.1, 5.1 and 5.0(not
 > sure) can be supported from security/pf.  One should note, that the
 > port is outdated (OpenBSD 3.4) and no longer maintained.  I'll remove
 > the port with the release of 5.4 (and will correct the firewall
 > chapter accordingly).  4.x can get pf from KAME snapshots, btw.

 Thanks for the very informative reply Max :-)

 What is, in your opinion, the best thing to do?  Currently, the text of
 the Handbook reads:

 %    24.4 The Packet Filter (PF) Firewall
 %
 %    As of July 2003 the OpenBSD firewall software application known
 %    as PF was ported to FreeBSD and was made available in the FreeBSD
 %    ports collection; the first release that contained PF as an
 %    integrated part of the base system was FreeBSD 5.3 in November
 %    2004. [...]
 %
 %    For older 5.X version of FreeBSD you can find PF in the FreeBSD
 %    ports collection here: security/pf.

 If I am reading your reply correctly, we don't need to change anything;
 the Handbook text describes correctly PF as part of the base system
 after 5.3-RELEASE and points everyone else to the port.  The only thing
 that could probably be added is "4.x can get pf from KAME snapshots".

 - Giorgos