Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:23:45 -0500
From:      Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
To:        Nathan Maier <maier.nathan@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The mouse appears on screen but doesn't move.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Nathan Maier <maier.nathan@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>     Just updated to 8.0-Release via freebsd-update from 8.0-rc1.  My mouse
> worked well enough in the first 8.0 release after adding "Option
> "AllowEmptyInput" "off" from the UPDATING file.
>     Here's Xorg.log:
> <snip>

(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
> (II) Loading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
> (II) Module mouse: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
>        compiled for 1.6.1, module version = 1.4.0
>        Module class: X.Org XInput Driver
>        ABI class: X.Org XInput driver, version 4.0
> (EE) module ABI major version (4) doesn't match the server's version (7)
> (II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
> (II) Unloading /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so
> (EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (module requirement mismatch, 0)

Well I guess that would be your problem.  Assuming you've updated your ports
tree, something like

portmaster --no-confirm -d /usr/ports/x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse/

and restarting X should fix it although it doesn't seem like a jump from an
RC to RELEASE should cause this.  Did you update other parts of the system
as well?

--
Adam Vande More