Date:      14 May 1998 00:01:54 -0500
From:      sfarrell@farrell.org
To:        Ron Scott <rscott@pcisys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't Configure and Download FreeBSD

Ron Scott <rscott@pcisys.com> writes:

> I was able to create the image boot disk, and it did boot my system, but
> I was unable to properly configure my system or to get FreeBSD
> downloaded from the FTP site. I could not even get it to access my
> modem. I am completely confused, and could find nothing in the FAQ or
> the Handbook to address final configuration and download issues. Most of
> the help seems to be directed at getting the image disk going, which I
> thought was very easy compared with what happened once it booted up.

Which was... ?

Chances are that you'd have a much easier time doing an installation
from CDRom.  It'll also be faster, and if you order from cheap bytes
(www.cheap-bytes.com, iirc), it'll be cheaper.  It might be better to
throw down the $$ for the walnut creek edition, which contains an
installation manual.  I'd imagine an installation over modem would be
quite a tedious exercise in patience.

--

Steve Farrell