Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 13:16:18 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        John Oxley <john@yoafrica.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interface aliases

John Oxley wrote:
> I know that I can put at least 65,000 aliases on an interface using
> ifconfig alias.  What kind of affect does this have on the system load
> wise?

Benchmark it yourself, it will depend on your hardware and your workload.

As a general rule, you should have one IP per NIC.  Putting thousands of IP
addresses on a single box is a misuse of limited IP space, unless you are using
RFC-1918 addresses.  What is the actual problem you are trying to solve?

--
-Chuck