Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 13:39:54 -0700
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Stefan Farfeleder <e0026813@stud3.tuwien.ac.at>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Junior Kernel Hacker page updated...

* De: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> [ Data: 2002-10-04 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: Junior Kernel Hacker page updated... ]
> In message <20021004134141.GA263@frog.fafoe>, Stefan Farfeleder writes:
> >

> I have committed your patch, but left it #undef'ed until we get
> the kernel straightened out.
>
> On behalf of the FreeBSD project I have to warn you that if you
> persist in doing work of this kind over and over again, you will
> eventually be subjected to a commit bit.  You have been warned :-)
>
> Thank you very much for you work! :-)
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> >The #ifdefs are already in the code, namely REMOTE and RMT_WILL_WATCH.
> >Is anybody using them? Building with -DREMOTE doesn't compile and with
> >-DRMT_WILL_WATCH the linker is complaining about the lack of the
> >functions Rmt_Ignore(), Rmt_Watch() and Rmt_Wait(). Can't we get rid of
> >those defines? I understand Juli Mallett wants to rewrite make, so maybe
> >this effort would be wasted.
>
> I belive the RMT/REMOTE stuff is part of an earlier attempt at putting
> in some kind of cluster functionality.
>
> If it is useful in any capacity, even as hint of what/how to do such
> a thing, I think we should leave it.  If it is just old junk we
> should boot it.

NetBSD has it working.  I don't recall anymore if the diffs were enough
to dissuade me from making ours work, or if I just had no interest.

It's gone from my local tree simply because I got tired of grepping for
things to debug, and running into ifdef's cruft.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>       | FreeBSD: The Power To Serve
Will break world for fulltime employment. | finger jmallett@FreeBSD.org