Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:33:14 -0400
From:      "John D. Hendrickson" <johnandsara2@cox.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Xorg is making the machine freezes when exit

Vinicius Abrahao wrote:
> Guys, I do not know if all of you read the great forum.
>
> Sorry if you already read this msg, but I am sharing the problem here too.
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/can-not-exit-x-the-returns-pc-freezes.51063/
>
> Looks like is a misunderstanding between vt and Xorg.
>

> Can some body help me with this?
>
> The entire machine is "locking" (nether ping responds anymore) when I go
> back to console or exit Xorg.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vinícius

question: can you switch to VT before you exit X11 ?

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

check X.org and look to see if there are advice on your card about issues

### for this question (the first)

i'm going to ask:

did you have a (telnet) in and run a video mode restorer program ?  or
maybe have one run when X exits ?

whateelse happens at X exit?  if it's a kernel video mode support who
knows what braindamage it "could be" - you need to find a way to show us
(by logs) an error message.  (but i bet if you use VESA support it works)

freeBSD has new "class permissions" and pam and such and integrated into
kernel even.  perhaps when X exits - freeBSD has an auth problem it
cannot resolve and freezes.

remember the "reason" (i never beleived them) X.org is needed for new
video cards is they respect no rules on the hardware BUS or with X11's
requests.  they said X.org was needed to resolve video card hangs for
new cards.  but that's still and issue: but they deleted all old video
card support.  so i'm sure they got their card to work, maybe.  mine:
they damaged.