Date:      Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:35:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris Jesseman <chris@sitemajic.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   du -df inconsistency - get fsck to fix?

Good day,
My /var is full and I can't figure out how to release [mis]used space. I
suspected an open accounting file because a few weeks ago I started moving the
accounting, logs & email files over to /usr and just linking them from /var...
However, I am unsure how to regain the space.

fsck docs(Appendix A) imply that to clean the file the file system has to be
unmounted. Is this correct? Please advise an optimal solution.

Thank you,
Chris Jesseman

[0] /var#fsck  /dev/da0s1e
** /dev/da0s1e (NO WRITE)
** Last Mounted on /var
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes
** Phase 2 - Check Pathnames
** Phase 3 - Check Connectivity
** Phase 4 - Check Reference Counts
UNREF FILE I=94  OWNER=root MODE=100644
SIZE=18173952 MTIME=Nov 15 22:09 2000
CLEAR? no

** Phase 5 - Check Cyl groups
55 files, 17867 used, 1948 free (108 frags, 230 blocks, 0.5% fragmentation)

Misc. info from my 4.1.1 Stable box:

[0] /var#fsck -p /dev/da0s1e
/dev/da0s1e: NO WRITE ACCESS
/dev/da0s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

[8] /var#cat /etc/fstab
# Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
/dev/da0s1e             /var            ufs     rw              2       2

[0] /var#mount
/dev/da0s1e on /var (ufs, local, writes: sync 1486005 async 715463, reads: sync
20046 async 6527)

[0] /var#du -h /var
1.0K    /var/at/jobs
1.0K    /var/at/spool
3.0K    /var/at
2.0K    /var/crash
4.0K    /var/cron/tabs
5.0K    /var/cron
2.0K    /var/msgs
1.0K    /var/preserve
 52K    /var/run
1.0K    /var/rwho
1.0K    /var/tmp/vi.recover
3.0K    /var/tmp
 20K    /var/yp
1.0K    /var/pwcheck
 91K    /var
[0] /var#df -H
Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/da0s1e    20M    18M   372K    98%    /var