Date:      Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:32:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        jhs@tower.berklix.net
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Least supported laptop for FreeBSD under $1k

In message: <200312271240.hBRCe3ZF073646@flip.jhs.private>
            "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@tower.berklix.net> writes:
: Unlike many of us, who want well supported laptops, Warner presumably
: wants a single laptop which exhibits bad support in maximum areas,
: to maximise fixing fun, while avoid needing multiple laptops, each
: with just one or a few support problems.

Yes.  I want to get the most bang for the $$$.  I want to be able to
fix a dozen or so problems with just a small outlay of cash, which is
a little tight at the moment.

I'm also most interested in the following trouble areas:
	1) Interrupt routing problems
	2) PC Card/CardBus problems
	3) Resource conflicts
	4) Interrupt storms
	5) Hangs at the end of the boot sequence
	6) ACPI issues relating to suspend/resume.

I'm not too interested in the following areas, except as it relates to
the primary objectives listed above:
	1) X doesn't work
	2) Sound doesn't work
	3) This weird NIC chip isn't supported.
	4) This weird wireless isn't supported (although this one is
	   borderline).

I'm not looking for a pain-free experience.  I'm looking for a laptop
with lots of sharp edges that I can cut my fingers on so that others
don't have to.

Warner