Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 1997 20:28:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Yonny Cardenas <yonny@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Links with gated

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Yonny Cardenas wrote:

> I  have two box how  routers with FreeBSD 2.1.5, one run gated (A) and other
> run routed (B), conected with link ethernet, the router (A) anounnce OK to
> other neighbor EGP, all its paths.
>
> ------        EGP     -------9	  RIP     1--------  RIP
> |    |----... --------|  A  |**************|  B    |--------
> ------                -------              --------
> 				200.20.30
>
> After, I changed the link ethernet for a link serial asyncronus
> ( RS232 with cable null modem), I am using PPP in this link, the
> conection is OK, but they aren't interchange routing information
> on this link.
>
> The fowolling mensages present router (A):
>
> router_A [66] : krt_recv_route: request route to 200.20.30.1/255.255.255.255 via200.20.30.9 not active  - deleting

  This may be harmless.  There are various hidden routes in the routing
(mainly cloned routes), and gated tries to clean things up (gated does say
route is "inactive").

> I am not using netmask 255.255.255.255, I am using 255.255.255.0 .

  Are you actually using EGP, or some other exterior routing protocol on
the LAN segment marked "EGP"?

  What does you gated.conf have in it?  Since you are using RIP on one
side, and some other routing protocol on the other side you have to
explicitly instruct routed to redistribute routes from one protocol into
another.

> Thanks for your help.

> 	YONNY CARDENAS B.
> 	Systems Engineer   				||   ||	|||  ||
> 	Universidad Nacional de Colombia 		||   ||	|| | ||
> 	Email : yonny@ingenieria.ingsala.unal.edu.co	|||||||	||  |||

Tom