Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 14:37:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   ProFTPd

Hey, I am using proftpd 1.2.1, after a complete CVSup to 3.5-STABLE (this
is a production machine, going to 4 would cause way too many
headaches).  Anyway, I get this classic error in my logs:

Jun 20 14:24:02 prime proftpd[36049]: no modules loaded for `ftp' service
Jun 20 14:24:02 prime proftpd[36049]: prime.gushi.org (prime.gushi.org[127.0.0.1]) - PAM(danm): Permission denied.
Jun 20 14:24:02 prime proftpd[36049]: prime.gushi.org (prime.gushi.org[127.0.0.1]) - USER danm: Login successful.

I've turned AuthPamAuthoritative off in proftpd.conf, but assuming I
hadn't, this FTPd would not work.

I'd LIKE to use pam, as it allows me a bit more flexibility in doing this,
such as giving me an easy interface to one-time-passwords.  If that's not
possible, how can I shut off all these stupid messages?

My /etc/pam.conf follows:

# If the user can authenticate with S/Key, that's sufficient.
login   auth    sufficient      pam_skey.so

# Check skey.access to make sure it is OK to let the user type in
# a cleartext password.  If not, then fail right here.
login   auth    requisite       pam_cleartext_pass_ok.so

# If you want KerberosIV authentication, uncomment the next line:
#login  auth    sufficient      pam_kerberosIV.so
try_first_pass

# Traditional getpwnam() authentication.
login   auth    required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass

ftp auth    required    /usr/lib/pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
ftp account required    /usr/lib/pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
ftp session required    pam_unix.so         	try_first_pass

# We've tried the above both ways, with and without path.

other   auth    required        pam_unix.so 	try_first_pass
other   account required        pam_unix.so	try_first_pass

Throw me a cc to this, as I'm not subscribed.

-Dan

--

"A mother can be an inspiration to her little son, change his thoughts,
his mind, his life, just with her gentle hum."

-No Doubt, "Different People", from "Tragic Kingdom"