Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2000 17:34:38 +0200
From:      <doc@punkass.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Error reading handbook on CE device

Hello,

I have a question about the handbook (english format).

I downloaded the .pdb version form the main FreeBSD distro
site today. I then copied it onto my Compaq Aero 2100 palmsize device
running Windows CE 2.1 and was unable to read it.

I first tried to read it using 'Gutenberg Bookviewer', then
with 'Oopdreams Peek-a-book', and finally with Mobisoft MobiReader'.
All are capable of viewing regular PDB files but could not open the
handbook.

The Bookviewer displayed all kinds of gibberish, (I downloaded the .pdb file
three times from two locations). Peek-a-book freezes and eventually puts
my handheld in suspend mode, and Mobireader complains that the
format isn't right and simply refuses to open it. I can read the ASCII
format but it looks _kind_of_ugly_ and is really a nightmare for searching
etc. I cannot create a 'PRC' - or 'DOC' which always opens fine as well
file instead beacuse I do not have an indexed version of the document
that I can convert to PRC.

Would you be so kind to confirm this error? Is there a  recommended way
to view the info on a CE device? Perhaps, can you assist me in creating a
version that CE users can read?

Regards,

Guido Docter