Date:      Sun, 4 Feb 2001 20:07:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   StarOffice 5.2 and ODBC

Dear Sirs.
Again, and again ...

I have much trouble to connect StarOffice via ODBC to our MySQL server.
With StarOffice and M$-Access 2000 on Windooze platforms and MyODB
I do not have any kind of problems connecting the MySQL server.
But from all FreeBSD based UNIX clients, on which we run StarOffice 5.2
as a better replacement for the crap on Windows machines, I have no access
to our MySQL server.

Data: MySQL 2.23.32 runs on FreeBSD 4.2; all clients running FBSD 4.2,
      StarOffice 5.2 (german) from ports collection.

      ODBC is MyODBC 2.50.36 compiled with unixODBC 2.0.3.

I already set up /usr/local/etc/odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini the right way.
I have a user, she's administering our student's library database. She
has an account and within this account she has her own .odbc.ini file
set up to the right database and table.
When running StarOffice, we try to connect to the MySQL server via ODBC,
we do exact the same procedure as we did on all Windooze machines with success.
But it seems that on FreeBSD StarOffice can not find .odbc.ini. It reports
an error and says we should check our configuration against libodbc.so. But this
library is present and within search paths we provide.
To avoid confudingly path-searches I linked the odbcinst.ini and odbc.ini into
all Linux-compat /etc and /usr/local/etc search paths within the Linux compat
tree - without any success. I tried to force linux to search the FreeBSD library
paths to recognize where the libraries are ... no success. I think this could turn me into
big problems because of the difference between Linux and FreeBSD libraries.

As often as I asked in StarOffice mailing lists I got some curious answers about
how to cross link libraries; so I try to ask again the FreeBSD community. I hope
there is someone who's already set up StarOffice with ODBC access ...

What is the trick? Do I need Linux libs for ODBC? Is there another way using a
simple do use ODBC client to access a MySQL database, simple to use for a commom
user, not a crack or hacker or admin ...???

Well, thanks in advance!

Best wishes,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)