Date:      Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:59:25 -0400
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@fcc.net>
To:        Thede Loder <tlod@leverage.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proc disappeared, w, uptime, who malfunctioning

On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 01:52:39PM -0700, Thede Loder wrote:

> Nathan -
>
> I've mounted /proc.  It was missing as you suggested.  I feel pretty
> dumb about that - I must have removed it from my fstab when we were
> doing some swapping of machines here a while ago.

Heh :-)

> Though /proc is mounted, I've not yet rebooted.  w, who, and uptime
> all still produce garbage.  I'll reboot and if I'm still having the
> problem, I'll drop you a line...

w, who, and uptime read /dev/kmem, not /proc (AFAIK). The symptoms you
describe come up frequently from people who are running a newer kernel
than the said utilities, or vice versa. Have you upgraded your kernel
without first upgrading your world?

--
  Nathan Dorfman  |  Frontline Communications Corporation
   nathan@fcc.net |     Pearl River, NY - 914-623-8559