Date:      Sun, 05 Apr 1998 16:40:27 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Greg Pavelcak <gpavelcak@philos.umass.edu>
To:        jsabella@ic.sunysb.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New information...

On  5 Apr, Jason Sabella wrote:
> Hi Neil.  I have the Gateway 2000 G6266 with the 6.4GIG hdd and the
> Promise Ultra DMA like you had said.  I'm not sure if you saw some older
> messages of mine, but I'm trying to install it onto the empty 2.1 GIGS
> at the end of the disk(The first 2.1 GIGS is for DOS's C partition and
> the middle 2.1 GIGS is for DOS's D partition).  But anyways, FreeBSD
> can't read the controller.  When I go to install FreeBSD from the
> CD-ROM, I run install.bat, which executes the line:
>
> fbsdboot.exe -D kernel
>
> You had said to add the -current parameter, but it doesn't recognize
> such a parameter.  Is this where you wanted me to type it in or is it
> somewhere else?  Any help will be greatly appreciated.
> 								   Thank you,
> 								 Jason Sabella
> ---

Jason,

Been following this thread some. "-current" is not a parameter for you
to type in, it is the "bleeding edge" version of FreeBSD. It's not too
difficult to switch to -current; however, you need to decide if you
really want to. I suppose if that's the only place for Promise Ultra33
support, then you don't have much choice other than to give up on the
Ultra DMA (I'm not sure if that's supported outside of -current either).

Read the Handbook section on "Staying Current" carefully (Since you're
sending e-mail, I'm assuming you can get the FreeBSD docs either on a
CD or at the web site). Also read any other stuff on -current and
"making the world" that you can find. Believe the warnings!! Just in
the past few weeks people running current have had file systems hosed
because of bugs that sneak in.

One possibility that's somewhat safer is to upgrade to an old -current
instead of a new one (**man cvsup** you can specify the date of the
sources you want). I installed sources from Feb 26 and they seem to be
OK; however, I am not what you would call a power user. I started to use
-current out of curiosity--like a kid who has to touch the burner
because he doesn't his parents when they tell hime it's hot.

 I'm posting back to the list so that others who have advice on using
current can chime in.

Good luck.

Greg