Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 17:47:40 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte.lance@gmx.net>
To:        wwoods@cybcon.com
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Firewall

William Woods writes:
 > I have a script that every day does a ipfw list > /home/william/ipfwlist to
 > save my firewall settings in case I need to reboot. Now what I would like to do
 > is when I boot have those rules loaded automatically.
 >
 > This is the settings in use in my rc.firewall file:
 >
 > if [ "${firewall_type}" = "open" -o "${firewall_type}" = "OPEN" ]; then
 >
 > $fwcmd add 65000 pass all from any to any
 > $fwcmd add 63000 deny log icmp from any to 205.147.76.99 icmptype 8
 > $fwcmd add 62099 allow icmp from 205.147.76.99 to 205.147.76.99 icmmptype 8
 >

 > Would it be possible to replace these with something along the lines of
 >
 > ipfw /home/william/ipfwlist .

Yes.

 > or can you suggest a better way?

>From the beginning of /etc/rc.firewall:

############
# Define the firewall type in /etc/rc.conf.  Valid values are:
#   open     - will allow anyone in
#   client   - will try to protect just this machine
#   simple   - will try to protect a whole network
#   closed   - totally disables IP services except via lo0 interface
#   UNKNOWN  - disables the loading of firewall rules.
#   filename - will load the rules in the given filename (full path required)

So why don't you use the filename-method ?
Just specify the path to the firewall-rule-file in /etc/rc.conf
(This is on my 2.2.6-box)

Malte.