Date:      Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:10:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      tomita@cs.titech.ac.jp
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ports/7330: ucd-snmp produces too much log file when booting other kernel than /kernel

>Number:         7330
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       ucd-snmp produces too much log file when booting other kernel than /kernel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When we specify non-default kernel at the boot prompt, like "wd(0,a)/kernel.GENERIC",
ucd-snmpd seems to fail to look up system variables because it will try to access /kernel, I guess.
After all, ucd-snmpd will continuously produces its log in /var/log/snmpd.log like this.

klookup(b8ee0000, 0x2ae3c, 76): klread: Bad address
klookup(5b8ef66, 0xefbfb574, 196): klread: Bad address

>How-To-Repeat:
boot another kernel such as kernel.GENERIC which is not same as /kernel.
start ucd-version snmpd installed from ports.
exec snmp command, like snmpnetstat -v 1 localhost public
you will see the message, file system full /var
    or very large log file /var/db/snmpd.log

>Fix:
As some system related commands, ps, netstat and so on still can work with another kernel,
there must be the tricks for snmpd as well.
Sorry I am not sure about the programming.
/var/db/kernel.db has something to do ?