Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2017 00:08:11 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        Chris Stankevitz <chris@stankevitz.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: passing -t to newsyslog

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 664, Issue 3, Message: 9
On Tue, 21 Feb 2017 21:19:40 -0600 Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com> wrote:
 > On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 8:36 PM, Chris Stankevitz <chris@stankevitz.com> wrote:
 > > I want "-t" to be passed when newsyslog is run hourly... not when it is
 > > run once when the system boots for the purpose of creating log files.
 > >
 > > Per "man rc.conf":
 > >
 > > newsyslog_enable is used to run newsyslog one time at boot to create
 > > missing log files.  newsyslog_enable does not cause newsyslog to
 > > continuously run.
 > >
 > > Per /etc/crontab:
 > >
 > > newsyslog is run periodically via en entry in /etc/crontab.  newsyslog is
 > > called without any arguments.

 > There is no law preventing you from editing /etc/crontab.  I imagine that
 > bit of advice is there so the system's crontab isn't broken.
 >
 > Setting correct locale may also fulfill your desires assuming LC_TIME is
 > read.

While Matthew well advises using user crontabs where appropriate, this
is one case where it's likely best to edit /etc/crontab directly.

I've never had qualms about editing /etc/crontab, and do so often, but
to address concerns about source or binary upgrades, sufficient backup
becomes something like # cp -p /etc/crontab /root/crontab.mine

cheers, Ian