Date:      17 Dec 2002 11:05:29 -0800
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Apostrophe Usage

Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org> writes:

> On 16 Dec 2002 11:47:52 -0800
> swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen) wrote:
>
> > I worry that you asked the question wrongly.  Does the "'s" belong?
> >
> > I think so, but these should be OK too:
> >
> >     Include an abstract of the book contents here.
> >     Include an abstract of the book content here.
> >     Include an abstract of the book's content here.
> If I'm not mistaken, doesn't an apostrophe (Tom's system) apply to
> ownership.  Therefor, the (book's content) would be correct.

Yes, that's why I said "I think so, but these should be OK *too*".

It should also be correct to refer to "book contents", where "book" is
used as a simple adjective.  The possessive form may sound more natural
to us in this case, but it's just custom.  In a similar case, we might
rather use the opposite form, for example, preferring "peach pit" to
"peach's pit".  But both forms are allowed by our grammar.