Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:31:38 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        Antoine Beaupre <beaupran@iro.umontreal.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PnP modem not recognized at boot, but by pnpinfo(8)

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 07:50:59PM -0400, Antoine Beaupre wrote:
> Hi. These are the latest news about my modem / sio comm problems.
> Included here is a sample dmesg and pnpinfo output, and my kernel
> configuration. I hope this is not overkill.

No, the more info the better.

[snip]

> These are my current [possible] BIOS settings (only the relevant are
> included here):
>
> -- PnP/PCI Configuration --
> PnP OS Installed:			NO [YES]
> Resources controled by:		Automatic [Manual*]
> Reset configuration data:	Disabled [Enabled**]
>
> [* The following appears only when "resources are controlled by "Manual":
>
> IRQ X: 		 PCI/PnP [Legacy/ISA]
>
> for X in 3 to 15]
>
> [** This setting is a toggle which when "enabled" is automatically
> toggled back to "Disabled" with any power cycle. I don't know its use is]

That looks familiar! That is exactly what I see. Is this by any chance
an Award 4.5x BIOS? The "Reset configuration data" entry is to do with
forcing the BIOS to update it's "resources table". I'm not an expert
but the way I believe it works is that if your modem for example is
allocated IRQ10 0x2f8 the first time it is found then the BIOS
remembers this and allocates the same resources on subsequent boots
(even if you add more hardware). If you set it to "Enabled" you should
see something like "Updating ECSD......Done" at the end of the BIOS
messages (just before the OS starts). I see the same message if
Windows finds new hardware or I change the resource settings (this is
what I was meaning about Windows f*****g with the BIOS settings).

> -- Integrated peripherals --
> [Both COM1 and COM2 have the same set of possible settings]
> Onboard serial port 1:	3F8/IRQ4 [only way to have the serial mouse working
> on FreeBSD]
> Onboard serial port 2: [one of:
> 	Disabled | Auto
> 	3F8/IRQ4 | 3E8/IRQ4 | 2E8/IRQ4 |2F8/IRQ3
> 	See below]
> [this only appears if serial port 2 is activated]
> Ur Mode: standard | IrDA 1.0 | Ask IR | MIR 0.57M | MIR 1.15M | FIR
> Duplex mode: Full | Half
>
> I haven't tried fiddling with the Ur Mode setting as I really don't know
> what it is.

I don't have that. It appears to be connected with Infra-red devices
(IrDA).

> Here are the experiments I made with various combinations of COM2 settings
> and kernel configs:
>
> COM2 to Disbled or Auto
> =======================
>
> When I set COM2 to Disbled or Auto, I get the following boot messages:
>
> sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio2: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
> sio2: <CIRRUS LOGIC PnP V34 MODEM> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> sio2: type 16550A

[kernel config entries moved to here for clarity]

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
#device         sio2    at isa? port IO_COM3 irq 5
#device         sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

OK, the "configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0" appear to be
caused by the conflict that you have because your config file
specifies IRQ3 for sio1 but the BIOS has set up the modem on IRQ3. Try
changing sio1 to IRQ5 in the kernel config file (and building yet
another kernel).

[snip]

> The problem is the following now. When connected to the serial device
> (sio2) associated with the modem with ppp(4) or cu(1), the caracters
> do not echo properly to the terminal. A character must be sent in
> order to have one sent back. So, for example, if you type "AT" only
> "A" appears. You must type another key to have the "T" sent back from
> the modem.

Aha! a classic case of IRQ conflicts.

> Same goes when connected to a remote machine, except the data get sent by
> bigger packets (i.e. more characters get sent back when a key is pressed).
>
> <Who again?> suggested that this might be an IRQ conflict problem. I
> tought first that this might be related to the message:
>
> sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>
> (i.e. the SIO1 port is "configured" on irq 3, this means there's a
> COM2 port on irq 3, right?)
>
> So I figured that this might be my COM2 bugging off the modem. I tried to
> disable COM2 in the bios and got the same error messages and modem
> behavior. I tried disabling the sio1 device, but it only removes the sio1
> error message. I also tried to remove the sio1 driver from the kernel,
> nothing would solve the problem. So I don't think this is the problem.
>
> COM2 Set to 2F8/IRQ3
> ====================
>
> Setting the "Onboard serial port 2" setting to 2F8/IRQ3 gets the sio1
> probe to run smoothly.
>
> sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> sio1: type 16550A
>
> But then the modem is simply not detected (unknown: <CIRRUS...>). However,
> if I disable the sio1 device upon boot, the modem is normally detected,
> without any error message (standard 2-liner). However, impossible to get
> communication with modem.

Ah, but did it find the modem sio1 as when you disabled sio1? If so
then you need to change the ``set device /dev/cuaa2'' line in
/etc/ppp/ppp.conf to ``set device /dev/cuaa1'' (and make sure
/dev/cuaa1 exists). If the modem is found as sio1 in this situation and
changing ppp.conf gets it working then I'd leave it like that (if you
can live without the second serial port).

BTW, try to avoid references to COM1 etc. unless you are referring to
Windows. These are DOS device names and it can get rather confusing
(partly because they are numbered from 1 not 0). As you have seen,
IRQs and addresses are not cast in tablets of stone anymore (as they
were in the DOS days) so saying "COM1 is IRQ4 0x3f8" is not wholly
accurate.

> ===
>
> Also note the odd message at boot:
>
> isa0: too many dependant configs (8)
> isa0: too many dependant configs (8)

Don't worry about this. I get it too, it's a known and harmless
message.

> isa0: unexpected small tag 14

Not sure about this one though.

--