Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 22:36:32 -0400
From:      Scott Cotton <scott@chronis.pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   setting up extra pty's won't work for me

I've done everything as described in
http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#AEN2018 several times over, and it
doesn't work for some reason.

I'm using 3.2R on an intel box, and the result is that the maximum number of
ptys on the system appears to be 32.  I've set debug.ttydebug to 10 to no
avail, edited /etc/ttys as described both in the man page for ttys and the url
above, and nobody can log in to the system when I use X and a screen session
or two.

I looked at the sources for src/sys/kern/tty_pty.c and saw 2 potential
warnings issued on compile if #ptys is 1 or > 256, and no warnings were issued
on compile.

When I run screen, and try to open too many windows, it says "No more PTYs".
When I ssh from a local connection 31 times, nobody else can log in.

Any other ideas of where to look would be greatly appreciated.

scott