Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 23:00:11 -0700
From:      Chip Wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        Kyle Rollin <klined@orbimus.dhs.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: secure telnet?

Thanks for the tip on openssh. I installed the port, read some of the openssh
web site and man page and figured out how to connect to the telnet server at
the university, now no more message about not being on a secure connection.
Thanks,
--
Chip

It appears Kyle Rollin <klined@orbimus.dhs.org>, on Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:44:42
-0400 (EDT) wrote something like:

> Telnet's not really very secure by itself.
>
> I'd suggest something like OpenSSH, if you're looking for security ....
> the port is included in /usr/ports/security, or you can get it from
> http://www.openssh.org ..
>
> -Kyle Rollin
> klined@orbimus.dhs.org
>
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Chip Wiegand wrote:
>
> > I just installed the port for SSLtelnet, then used telnet to connect to a
> > site, and when I connected the server response included a statement that
> my
> > software does not protect my password, I need to change my software. I
> need a
> > secure telnet, isn't that what SSLtelnet is? I tried man SSLtelnet, no
> man
> > page, also ssltelnet, again no man page. On the FreeBSD.org site on the
> > description of SSLtelnet there is no reference for a web site.
> > Just how do I use SSLtelnet in a secure way?
> > Thankyou,
> >
> > --
> > Chip Wiegand
> > CRW Computer Services