Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:07:16 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>, Gordon Tetlow <gordon@tetlows.org>
Subject:   Re: Mergemaster enhancement

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Gordon Tetlow wrote:
>
>> I've thrown together a quick mergemaster enhancement that will
>> automagically upgrade files that have changed in the /usr/src/etc
>> distribution but the user hasn't changed. Great applications are for when
>> you trust that we aren't going to break everything and only don't want
>> mergemaster to squash files that you have customized.
>>
>> Patch location:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~gordon/patches/mergemaster.mtree.diff
>>
>> How it works:
>> Through clever use of mtree, I build an mtree description of everything
>> that make distribution installs (only size and md5) from the temproot. When
>> the user completes a mergemaster run, the mtree description file gets
>> installed into /var/db for safe-keeping.
>>
>> When the user then decides to do a subsequent upgrade (with the -U flag),
>> the existing mtree description from /var/db is called into service looking
>> for files that are different in DESTDIR. This is stashed away until a file
>> that would normally end up prompting you to look at changes is encountered.
>> Since there are no user modified changes, the new file is installed without
>> bothering the user.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>

> I really like  it
> especially as it is  optional

I don't know if there is any way of doing this "automatically", but the
one beef I have with mergemaster is it prompting me whether I want to
install the new one if all that has changed is the $Id tag ... I don't
mind looking at the diff of the ones that there are actual changes to, or
doing a -U to 'skip' those, but would be nice if the ones that *really*
haven't changed were done automatically ...

----