Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 10:31:01 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Michael Alwan <mjalwan@rma.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: current kernel won't build

Michael Alwan scribbled this message on Oct 31:

This is a reminder to the people on the other lists...  If you want
to run -current, you NEED to be subscribe to freebsd-current...  This
is where all the problems are discussed...

> Another mystery that causes a non-critical error is the tag in /i386/conf
> Makefile.i386 for a certain version of config:
>
> ># Which version of config(8) is required.
> >%VERSREQ=       300002
>
> The command "/usr/sbin/config GENERIC" gives this warning (but creates the
> kernel build directory):

this means you need to rebuild config, this was suppose to prevent people
from making the same mistake you did...

[...]

> I'll try new kernel sources later.  Should I be discussing this on another
> mailing list, or should I just keep trying until I get something that works?
> Should I try to make world first?

you need to read -current...  I'm almost postitive that Joerg posted a
warning about this to -current in reply to his commit message warning
people that rebuilding config is neccessary...  also.. reciently Mike
Smith was nice enough to post his "Keeping -current w/ FreeBSD" document
too....

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD