Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2017 13:52:12 -0700
From:      Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
To:        Vincent Olivier <vincent@up4.com>
Cc:        freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Arch Linux UEFI Bhyve Setup

Hi Vincent,

> I guess my resolution for 2017 is more clarity.
>
> So what I mean to know with this experiment is simply this: can UEFI
> be used with a serial console (i.e.: without a graphic console), if
> so, is it preferable over GRUB for Linux distros that support UEFI?
>
> Until I am positive about using UEFI over serial console, I will
> stick to GRUB but if someone coule elaborate on this, I would
> appreciate it greatly!

  It does work, but you have to either edit the grub.conf on the install
ISO and repack, or get in quick and edit the grub command line and add a
'console=ttyS0' option.

  grub-bhyve auto-inserts the serial console line into the linux kernel
boot options which is why it appears a little more seamless.

  UEFI does have the advantage that the system is self-consistent - any
boot filesystem can be used, whereas grub-bhyve only understands the
ones that are built into it.

later,

Peter.