Date:      Thu, 5 Aug 1999 23:13:15 -0400
From:      "Christopher S. Weimann" <cweimann@wallnet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need comparative data

On Mon, Aug 02, 1999 at 06:49:38AM -0400, Thomas David Rivers wrote:

>  Those same packages come pre-built on FreeBSD as well.  Many believe
>  our `ports/packages' mechanism is much better than the RPM approach.

I certainly do.  I have a two boxes running RH6.0 and am constantly
frustrated by dependancy problems everytime I try to install an RPM.
It seems that even a minor version change on a library breaks everything.
Also there is nothing comparable to

cvsup /etc/cvsupfile
make world

on Linux that I have found.  I also find building a custom kernel on FreeBSD
to be much easier.  ( what's with the limit on kernel size in linux anyway? )

I of course could be suffering from a case of learning a BSD first.

>  All you need to do is download the package and say `package_add'.

You can also just pass package_add a URL I think.

>  In my personal experience, they (FreeBSD and Linux) are about the
>  same for reliability.

Granted this is a single datapoint but I have never had FreeBSD lock up
but I have had Linux lock up several times.  Typically it is caused by
Netscape which is unreliable on both systems but I have had it ( Netscape )
crash to the point that I have to reboot Linux but have always been able
to recover with FreeBSD.