Date:      Tue, 1 May 2012 14:26:35 -0700
From:      Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
To:        Simon <simon@optinet.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing dead drives in ZRAID2

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Simon <simon@optinet.com> wrote:
> I decided to give ZFS ZRAID2 a shot after getting fed up with some legacy
> hardware RAID cards that don't properly perform, or at all, patrol-reads +
> consistency checking. So...
>
> I can't seem to figure out the proper way to replace a dead drive in a running
> system with SCSI+SES enclosure. I tried:
>
> zpool detach zroot baddrive
> camcontrol stop baddrive

You can't detach drives from raidz vdevs.  The correct process is:

zpool offline zroot <baddrive>
<pull drive from system>
<insert new drive>
<do any partitioning, labelling, etc to suit your env>
zpool replace zroot <baddrive> <newdrive>

"zpool detach" is only used for mirror vdevs.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash@gmail.com