Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 19:44:03 -0500
From:      "Otter" <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        "Joe Oliveiro" <joe@advancewebhosting.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Xfree/Gnome off the boot?

it wouldn't stat at boot, but you could set up a graphical login
manager to prompt you for a login (xdm, wdm, kdm, etc). I'm using
using wdm and it seems to be working pretty well. Install all your
visual goodies and edit your /etc/ttys so that your ttyv8 line reads
as follows:
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/wdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure
You may want to do this behind a firewall so that you limit the people
who can access the machine. XF86/Gnome aren't started at boot, but
will start when a successful login happens through the graphical login
manager, assuming you've setup your init file properly. If gnome
starts up when you run startx, it should be ok.
-Otter
p.s. your /etc/ttys changes won't take effect until you reboot or
re-init the machine.