Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 2010 13:50:52 +0200
From:      Eugene Dzhurinsky <bofh@redwerk.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A tool for remapping bad sectors in CURRENT?

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

On Mon, Mar 08, 2010 at 12:21:44PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
> We have this problem from time to time on bunch of machines. As we are=20
> using gmirror, the easiest way is to force re-synchronization (rewrite)=
=20
> of the whole drive. The problem is when there are Pending unreadable=20
> sectors on both drives - it ends up with read error and some file(s) are=
=20
> corrupted, but there is no easy way (on FreeBSD) to find what file.
>=20
> I tried it in the past with fsdb / findblk, but it does not work as I=20
> expect or I do not fully understand the needed calculations with slices=
=20
> + partitions offsets / LBAs and right meaning of the term "block". It=20
> seems there are several meaning in different contexts.
>=20
> It would be nice if somebody with enough FS / GEOM knowledge can write=20
> some HowTo or shell script to do the calculations and operations to find=
=20
> file containing bad sector(s) and put it in FAQ, Handbook, or Wiki.

Miroslav, thank you for the suggestion - but I am not using gmirror, that H=
DD
is the one on my laptop. However suggestions about using dd to write someth=
ing
into bad block to force IDE controller do it's service stuff about remapping
seems did the trick. And I was able to not calculate LBA but use it as block
offset, which seemed to be correct way :)

--=20
Eugene N Dzhurinsky

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J

--VbJkn9YxBvnuCH5J--