Date:      Thu, 20 Apr 2006 20:15:59 +1000
From:      fbsd <fbsd@aanet.com.au>
To:        Duane Whitty <duane@greenmeadow.ca>,  freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: KDE + GNOME?

Duane Whitty wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> ... I want to be able to switch back-and-forth whenever I want.  Has
>> anyone else tried this?
>>
>> Thanks for your responses.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>>
>> Duane Whitty
> Thanks again for the responses.
>
> I am now busily building GNOME 2.12
> from ports.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Duane Whitty

Duane,

I tried this and found that Gnome stuffed up my KDE menus. Menus items
were rearranged, a new category called "KDE" appeared and most items
were now under this. Some items were missing. In short, it had become
Gnomified! Googling and posting this this mailing list confirmed that
Gnome was interfering with KDE but nobody was able to tell me how to get
my menus back.

I eventually removed Gnome altogether which presented another problem.
You can't  remove Gnome without removing KDE and pretty all programs
that depend on X as well. (at least I couldn't using the removal
instructions provided on the Gnome on FreeBSD web site).

But since you are already installing, this email may be too late.

Regards,

Ron Joordens