Date:      Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:06:49 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Kurt Jaeger <lists@complx.lf.net>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Boards to convert video in mpeg/avi/dvix/whatever with FreeBSD ?

Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm looking for a board that allows me to digitally record combined
> video/audio signals (PAL, not NTSC) with FreeBSD 4.8. CPU and harddisk
> space is no problem 8-}
>
> Any pointers, hints ?

I think you're looking for a Brooktree 848/878 based video capture board
(which can be set for PAL mode).  Hauppauge makes several fine ones
which are supported in FreeBSD.

There are various recording options, from mencoder (part of the mplayer
package) to ffmpeg to fxtv.  Honestly, none of these are as easy as they
should be, but people have gotten them to work.

--
   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer