Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:28:14 -0700
From:      Danny MacMillan <flowers@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Caching DNS Server?

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 12:06:14PM -0700, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:
> Danny MacMillan wrote:
>
> > No doubt BIND can do this ... but I find djbdns much easier
> > to configure.
>
> I have never tried out djbdns, so I cannot say for myself, and
> I also understand that apparently djbdns has caused similarly
> intense discussions as KDE-vs-GNOME or vi-vs-emacs; so I want
> to make clear that I am not ranting about djbdns.

Understood, but it wouldn't matter to me if you were.  I've
never understood why so many people seem so badly to want to
make others' software choices for them.  I like djbdns, but
I'm not ego-attached to it.  The same disclaimer applies to
what I'm about to say; I'm not looking for converts.

Besides, real men edit files with cat and sed.  :)

> But I don't really find BIND hard to configure as a caching
> nameserver.  I run BIND on my NetBSD machine doing exactly
> that, and the caching part took  no modification to the
> default configuration to work.

I've actually never tried running BIND as just a caching server,
just as an authoritative server.  To me, it seemed unnecessarily
complex.  Actually, it just seemed complex.  The 'unnecessarily'
was added after I tried djbdns.

> On the other hand, like I said, I haven't worked with djbdns
> so far - from what I know it seems to be worth trying.  I'm
> just a lazy person, so I never bothered trying when I had BIND
> installed already. =) And since I've been working on a BIND4-
> to-BIND9-migration for the recent months I got kind of used to
> it.

I'm lazy too.  That's why after seeing how djbdns and bind stack
up complexity wise on authoritative servers, I went with djbdns
on the caching side :)  I find that djbdns works the way I think,
BIND definitely doesn't -- but not everyone has to think the way
I do.

> Still, I really like the idea of having seperate servers for
> resolving recursive queries and for hosting zones, since this
> affects both security and performance.

Yeah, that's the reasoning that made me try djbdns in the
first place.  My experience with BIND is fairly limited though
so I can't actually make an objective comparison.

> Nominum, the company that wrote BIND9, offers a commercial,
> closed-source nameserver as well, that also uses different
> servers for caching and hosting authoritative zon data.
>
> Then again, performance shouldn't differ for home use.

Probably not.

--
Danny