Date:      Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:45:26 -0500
From:      larry <hugahog@earthlink.net>
To:        "immaculate nerd" <smokinlucifer@runbox.com>
Cc:        questions@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kppp sucks!!!

> > hi
> I installed kppp and changed my initialization string to "AT &D &F
> X0 L3" then I created a link /dev/cuaa0 /dev/modem.
> Now the problem is that when I query my modem the application the
> system hangs. Please suggest any alternate ways to use the net. I
> tried using ppp but as soon as I write "dial default" my modem just
> picks the phone for one second and thenhangs up.(I did edit
> ppp.conf) I really want to experience the true unix way of surfing
> the net so please can anyone emancipate me from windows.

nerd,

I'm using FBSD ver 4.2 Release with default kde and kppp
I left my modem config at default but did need to edit some
files as listed below:
____________________________

This is /etc/ppp/resolv.conf

nameserver (your ip dns here)
nameserver  (your ip dns here)

-------------------

This is /etc/resolv.conf

# search localdomain
search localdomain

# nameserver 206.134.133.10 # ppp temp entry (kppp adds this entry
dynamically)
nameserver 206.134.133.10

# ppp temp entry
nameserver 206.134.133.10 # ppp temp entry

------------------------
This is /etc/ppp/options

lock
noauth