Date:      Thu, 6 Aug 1998 17:27:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Questions=answers <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: upgrade: where is fstab gone????

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Doug White wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Spidey wrote:
>
> > Hello everybody!
> >
> > I just upgrade and made world via CVSup. I'm now upgrading my /etc
> > files... :{ This is a 2.6 -> 2.7 regular release upgrade.
> >
> > One little *detail* I remarqued is that the following files do not exist
> > anymore:
> > rm /etc/fstab
> > rm /etc/kerberosIV
> > rm /etc/skel
> > rm /etc/manpath.config.sample
> > rm /etc/aliases.db
> > rm /etc/rc.conf.previous
> > rm /etc/wall_cmos_clock
> > rm /etc/localtime
> > rm /etc/skeykeys
> > rm /etc/resolv.conf
> > rm /etc/sysconf
> > rm /etc/ttys.old
> > rm /etc/passwd~
> > rm /etc/adduser.conf
> > rm /etc/XF86Config
> > rm /etc/dnews.conf
> > rm /etc/inetd.new
> >
> > No more fstab??? resolv.conf?  How come?
>
> Huh?
>
> The new etc files would be stored in /usr/src/etc....

They're NOT! Funny, huh? this is ls /usr/src/etc:

MAKEDEV.local           kerberosIV/             printcap
Makefile                locale.alias            profile
aliases                 login.access            protocols
amd.map                 login.conf              rc
crontab                 mail/                   rc.conf
csh.cshrc               make.conf               rc.firewall
csh.login               master.passwd           rc.local
csh.logout              minfree                 rc.network
daily                   modems                  rc.pccard
dm.conf                 monthly                 rc.serial
etc.i386/               motd                    remote
fbtab                   mtree/                  root/
ftpusers                namedb/                 rpc
gettytab                netstart*               security
group                   networks                services
host.conf               newsyslog.conf          shells
hosts                   pccard.conf.sample      syslog.conf
hosts.equiv             pccard_ether*           termcap.small
hosts.lpd               phones                  ttys
inetd.conf              ppp/                    weekly

A lot of files are missing there!!! This is my supfile:
*default tag=RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE
*default host=cvsup.ca.FreeBSD.ORG
*default prefix=/usr
*default base=/usr/local/etc/cvsup
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
src-all
doc-all
cvs-crypto
ports-all tag=.

Was it OK, BTW?

Spidey

How 'bout a little ride through your own world?
http://www.JSP.UMontreal.CA/~beaupran/