Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 1995 06:39:03 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        ache@astral.msk.su, current@freebsd.org
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au
Subject:   Re: How to add new swap partition? (prob. subj. for FAQ)

>I make yet one partition on my disk and even change its ID to A5 using
>disk editor (from DOS),
>but when I attempt to add it for swap, I got "device not configured"
>from swapon.
>disklabel says: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument too.
>Why kernel not make fake label for it from partition info?

It seemed like a good idea to provide as few fake labels as possible.
There is one for the whole disk giving a geometry no more are strictly
required.  One problem is that the fake label would have to become
non-fake as soon as it is written.

>What is proper commads sequence for adding swap partition?

To turn a slice into a swap partition, write a label to the slice and
set up a b (swap) partition as usual.  Changing the ID to A5 is optional.
Changing the ID mainly stops other OS's from using the slice but you
probably want swap slices to be shared.

Bruce