Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:14:50 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build -current and install to empty slice?

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:40:43 -0800
> From: Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I'd like to try out -current, however I'm not willing to clobber by working
> 4.7 install.  How do build -current on 4.7p3 away from my RELENG_4_7 source,
> then install to a seperate, pre-partitioned slice?
>
> Is it ok to create the filesystems with 4.7p3's newfs?
>
> Also, how do I cvsup a developer preview?

To answer the last question first, The developers previews are old and
crufty compared to RC3. To get close to that, specify a tag of
RELENG_5_0 to get close. The actual RC3 ISO images were just a
snapshot of the tree at some point in time, not anything that is
tagged. RELENG_5_0 is the code that is intended to be in 5.0-Release
and has a number of fixes that were added after RC3 came out, but it's
as close as you are likely to get.

Changes to RELENG_5_0 are very controlled, so anything in that branch
is likely to be a bit more stable or more complete than what was on
the RC3 CDs.

The first question is a bit tougher.

The easiest technique is to use a separate disk. I assume that you
don't want/can't do this. In that case, I'd download the RC3 ISO
images and burn the CDs. Then just boot it and install in a different
slice. If you want you personal file to be available, mount the
partition they are in on the V5 system and make a softlink to your
home directory there.

Building on another partition might be a bit tricky. You might just
create a new slice and copy your 4.7r3 slice to it. Then boot it and
cvsup RELENG_5_0 and follow the upgrade instructions. If you make the
new slice the same size as the existing 4.7 slice, you can use dd to
copy it very easily.

I did see a fairly detailed post on how to do this about a month
ago. You might want to check the archives.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)