Date:      Thu, 27 May 1999 22:13:53 +0200
From:      Andre Oppermann <oppermann@pipeline.ch>
To:        junkmale@xtra.co.nz
Cc:        Jasper O'Malley <jooji@webnology.com>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mickey Mouse networking...

Dan Langille wrote:

> On 27 May 99, at 13:41, Jasper O'Malley wrote:
>

> > Another reason Microsoft sucks...whilst attempting to set an IP address on
> > a NIC in a Win98 box to 10.4.100.255/255.255.0.0, I encountered the error
> > message:
> >
> > "The specified IP address is not valid."
> >
> > I say we take a collection to send the Microsoft programmers to a class on
> > IP subnetting.
>
> OK.  I'll be the lamb to the slaughter.
>
> I understood that ip addresses ending in either 0 or 255 were not to be
> used.  They are both used as broadcast addresses.  Is that correct?

No. The network address ("dot 0") and the broadcast address ("dot 255")
is specified by the netmask. The first address in the range is the
network address and the last is the broadcast address.

What you probably assume is an Class-C Network (= Netmask
255.255.255.0).

This isn't correct anymore. Everything is specified through the netmask.

> If the above is correct, why is the IP address supplied above correct?

It is correct because the netmask says us the network address is
10.4.0.0 and the broadcast address is 10.4.255.255.

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch