Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 1998 08:14:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@guardian.fortress.org>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail - low on space

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:

> >I create my systems without a physical /var parition and symlink /var and
> >/tmp into /usr/var and /usr/tmp respectively, this eliminates all
> >problems, and you don't end up "wasting" lots of disk space for temporary
> >files.
>
> It doesn't eliminate "all" problems.  Specifically, it doesn't
> eliminate the problem separate /var is meant to solve, and that is
> having someone fill up /usr and bring your entire machine to its knees
> just by sending you lots of big email messages.

Michael,

I fail to see the difference.  Whether /usr OR /var fills up, the machine
will be brought to its knees.

Until FreeBSD has something like AIX's extenisble file system, the /var
partition, while it's concept noble, is rather useless since it can't be
grown as needed.

The bottom line is no matter how well you plan in adanvce, you MAY end up
with /var overflow if you are hosting many mail boxes, UUCP feeds, and so
forth.

Regards,

Andrew Webster                              andrew@pubnix.net
Key fingerprint =  CF E8 16 B8 A6 DB E3 C9  83 E7 96 24 25 58 15 6E
PubNIX Montreal    Connected to the world   Branche au monde
P.O. Box 147       Cote Saint Luc, Quebec   H4V 2Y3
tel 514.990.5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514.990.9443