Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 12:53:07 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG, core@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

> I'm wondering, did you run the `sysinst' screen-menu installer?

I was not able to get to any form of installer on the Sparc. :-(
I was simply unable to boot with any of the CDROM or floppy options
available.

When I asked on the NetBSD newsgroup, a NetBSD guy admitted things were
rather messed up and suggested to try the 1.4.1 installation when it
became available.

> I think that NetBSD/sparc is actually supposed to be installed with the
> script-based installer, which WAS shipped with the release.

I may have missed it, and it has been awhile, but I think I tried three
different floppies.  IMHO, the NetBSD docs INSTALL need the 1st few pages
nixed and get to the real meat (if I am reading that doc, I don't need
the list of mirrors, etc..).  I also found numerious stuff out of date
and missing on the pmax install docs.  I didn't get far enough on the
Sparc to tell about those.

> However, I'm not sure that the borked sparc installer merits that crude
> put-down of the entire release.

I was unable to install it on three machines.  I have 7 years
SunOS/Solaris admin experierence, so I'n only a partical-dumby.  I got
OpenBSD installed easily on the Sparc, so I don't know what to say.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)