Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 1999 22:12:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Gong Wei <ccegongw@nus.edu.sg>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-stable@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 3.3 Stable Performance Monitoring

On Sat, 23 Oct 1999, Gong Wei wrote:

> We also have a few Solaris machines around.  We've purchased a SNMP agent
> from Empire Technology (www.empiretech.com) which can report various system
> performance related parameters, like swap usage, system load, cpu
> utilization, number of open file descriptor, number of processes, etc.
>
> The bad news is that their product doesn't support FreeBSD, although it does
> support Linux.  So we cannot use this tool to monitor the system
> performance.  Instead, we need something else which can do roughly the same
> thing.
>
> Among so many parameters our immediate interests is the following:
> *	CPU utilization, % used in Kernel space vs % used in user space
> *	RAM utilization
> *	SWAP utilization
> *	Network bandwidth usage
> *	number of file descriptors used
>
> As ususal, any hints/comments are more than welcomed.  Please do mail a copy
> of your response to me directly.  Thanks!

  The ucd-snmp package includes a snmp daemon (snmpd).  That last time I
did a snmpwalk on it, it reported lots of stuff like you want.  The funny
part, is that this server probably works on Solaris too, and doesn't cost
anything!

  BTW, I usually get the network bandwidth off the switch the server is
plugged into though.

Tom